I conduct about 10-20 phone interviews with potential candidates everyday and I realised that many of them failed due to the following reasons. Let me share with you the secrets from an employer point of view – A must know from all candidates!
1) Know what you are applying for – it sounds very obvious but I have seen a lot of candidates that goes for a telephone interview without knowing what is the job title! Perhaps your job consultant does not share with you the information or details, but it is your job to find out.
2) Knows the job descriptions and duties, make sure you know the job descriptions and duties and you must know how to answer them if they were to ask “ Why do you think you are suitable for this post?”
3) Pick a convenient time and place for you and the interviewer, if you are not able to talk to the interviewer at ease, you will have a problem to communicate with the other party. I have talked to some candidates where they are still in a company and wanted to talk to me but they speak very softly and the answers seems to be always a YES or NO…hm….how are you able to impress the other parties with a YES and NO?
4) Do your homework! Make sure you go to the company website and see what product they are selling and who the management staff are. It’s good to know who you could be talking to.
5) You ought to sound confident and firm over the phone. However there is a big difference between confident and loud….
6) Don’t use the word eerrh…..excuse me…..can you repeat yourself…etc…if you use more than 2 times, you have failed the phone interview.
7) Wear a SMILE when you talk, the other party will know it.
8) Use NLP when you talk, mimic the speed, the tone and the pitch as close as possible…it will make the difference….
To Your Success