First let’s understand what exactly the interviewer wants to know when they ask you this question:
1st they want to know do you actually have a goal or not?
Are you ambitious or not
They don’t want to know the detailed plan you have of your future but what they want to know is how clear you are about your future.
They also want to know if you will stay in the company for long or leave in few months
Your answer also tells them about your attitude and also about what kind of job responsibilities you can take up in future.
Remember, taking interviews is a hectic job. Hiring a candidate and training the candidate is also a hectic job. It all requires time and money so it is very important for the interviewer to find the right candidate who is ambitious and must stay in the company for a long time.
So! Now that you know what they want, prepare your answer accordingly.
1. You must have realistic goals. Don’t just say you want to be the CEO of the company if you are joining at an executive level.
2. Be specific about where you want to reach. Like which area you want to grow in or gain expertise in. You must also tell why you want to grow in that particular area of business.
3. Be short – As mentioned earlier they don’t want to know your detailed plan “if you have any”. Mostly people take long time, if they are not sure about their future or have no plans. If you have a plan, you would never take too long to explain.
4. One important thing to consider is that never just say you want to be a sales manager, quality analyst or any specific position etc. without giving a reason why you want to be there. You must tell that you love sales or enjoy sales. Or this area is where you want to gain expertise in. Or you love training and guiding others so you want to be a quality analyst or process trainer etc. So this tells that your goal is not only realistic but also is backed with a good reason.
5. Also it’s important that your goals must match with your responsibilities. You just can’t say that you want to be a guitarist in the next 5 years. Your goals related to that job matters. You can’t be 100% honest – I hope you know what I mean. I remember when I was in the IT and BPO field I never told them in the interview that I want to be a filmmaker. I always mentioned filmmaking as a hobby but as a goal, it used to be something related to the job. Like I used to say I want to be a trainer in 5 years because I loved teaching. Now, I was not completely dishonest, because I knew if I couldn’t be a filmmaker I will be a trainer. And I was always a good employee, less leaves, good performance and that’s exactly what a company wants from you. So in short no matter what you want to be in 5 years your answer will be something that relates to that job.
6. There’s one more thing I would like to tell. Never – Never – Never say I live life as it comes. Unless you are applying for a position of a priest or something 🙂 Never say that you don’t plan and enjoy one day at a time or something. Even if you do. As I said you can’t be 100% honest.
And also never behave like this is the first time you are thinking about your 5 year plan. You just can’t be like: What 5 year plan? …..
So that’s all in this video! I am sure now you will be able to answer this question easily and with confidence. I wish you all the best!!!
For more useful videos please subscribe to our channel. You can like this video and comment if want.
And remember! When you shift your focus from problems to solutions. The problems disappear ! So lets focus on solutions..lets share solutions!
Video Title: Where do you see yourself in 5 years | Best Job Interview Answer
Video link: http://youtu.be/Pyelia8WlDg
I hope this video helped you!
So please like comment and share this video with others.
And don’t forget to subscribe for more such videos…
Follow us on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/letssharesolutions
With Best Wishes!
Founder, Lets Share Solutions